The Residential Tutor is responsible to the Head of Abbey College. As a key senior member of staff, the position assists with the provision of a positive collegiate experience for residents.
We are seeking a great communicator who can support the pastoral needs of residents, guide the Senior College Assistants team and oversee the events and activities programme. This includes providing opportunities for residents to experience cultural, sporting, academic and personal development. The Residential Tutor may also provide and coordinate welfare and well-being support for residents when appropriate.
Key tasks are outlined further in the Job Description.
Skills and Experience
• A relevant university degree level tertiary qualification, preferably a postgraduate qualification.
• Experience working in the tertiary sector and/or familiarity with a university education environment.
• Experience of leading young adults in an academic/learning environment.
• An understanding, or an ability to quickly develop an understanding of the residential collegiate life and the University environment and its culture.
• Ability to develop and maintain effective leadership of young academics in a scholastic living environment.
• Well-developed leadership and pastoral care skills, desirably in the areas of young people living away from home for the first time.
• Ability to perform effectively and professionally in a complex and challenging environment including mental health and Resident wellbeing related incidents.
• Proven ability to liaise constructively with a wide range of academics.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills with people at all levels within the organisation and externally.
• Ability to perform a range of tasks under competing demands, meeting the agreed end result within quality parameters and time frame.
Experience in the tertiary sector would be a distinct advantage.