POSITION : Building Control Officer
REPORTS TO :Regulatory Services Manager
DEPARTMENT :Planning and Environment
LOCATION :Cromwell and Alexandra
To undertake Building Control work consistent with the Council?s Quality Assurance System
(QAS) ? Building. to help people build properly, made easy through a fast, cost effective
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Work as part of the Building Control Team in processing building consents and undertaking
inspections and applying the Quality Assurance System ? Building (QAS ? Building) so that
the purpose is achieved in a manner that complies with the Building Act, the Building
Regulations, the Building Code and all other associated and relevant statutes.
2. Direct involvement in the following and applying the guidelines set out in QAS ? Building,
so that the following is achieved:
a) Implementation of the QAS ? Building ?We Want to help you Build Process? for
b) Be conversant with our QAS ? Building
c) Provide support to others as appropriate given skills and knowledge
d) Record information as required in the QAS ? Building
e) Maintain clear responsibilities, authorities and organisational relationships
f) Specific procedures notably:
Access to building by people with disabilities
Certificates of Acceptance
Certificates of Public Use
Fire Procedures if Alternative Solution
Notices to Fix
Waivers and Modifications
3. To ensure that the specific written Council policies and procedures relating to the relevant
legislation are applied and implemented.
4. To deliver building control services in a friendly, efficient, coordinated and non-bureaucratic
5. To assist in monitoring compliance with nominated requirements of the Resource
Management Act, Rating, Power Act and Health Act, and when non-compliance is
observed these matters are reported on.
6. Carry out such other duties as may be allocated from time to time by the Regulatory
7. To collaborate with colleagues across the organisation as ?one team? to provide strong,
proactive customer service to internal and external customers.
KEY RESULT AREAS
Key result areas have been identified to assist in formulating performance objectives. The
duties of the position are being carried out to a satisfactory standard when:
1. Learning occurs from analysing key measures, as outlined in QAS ? Building.
2. All building work carried out comply with the Building Code and other relevant legislation.
3. Required premises, works and facilities are inspected, licenced and/or reported on for
compliance with the Building Act and other relevant legislation.
4. The Officer?s skills and knowledge continually improve. Clients increasingly submit clean
5. Nominated conditions of Resource Consents are being monitored for compliance and
when non-compliance items are identified full details are forwarded to the Planning Team
6. All work, public complaints and inquiries referred to the Officer are being dealt with
promptly and effectively and only progressed once clean.
8. Records of activity are being kept and all required reports are delivered on time and are of a
9. Competency levels are maintained and improved on an annual basis.
10. Organisational collaboration is clearly demonstrated.
Act consistent with delegations and limits as set out in Council?s Media Policy and QAS ?
Makes decisions within the authority delegated by the Regulatory Services Manager, when
certain that correct and complete. Otherwise seek assistance.
Has statutory authority to act under the below listed Acts, Regulations and Bylaws
encompassed in this appointment and the responsibility to exercise this authority within the
Local Government Act 2002
The Building Act 2004
The Building Regulations 2005
The NZ Building Code and approved documents
Fencing of Swimming Pools Act 1987
Local Government Official Information and Meetings Act 1987
Resource Management Act 1991
Plumbers, Gasfitters and Drainlayers Act 1976
Central Otago District Council Bylaws (General)
Specialist Consultants and Advisors (planning, engineers)
New Zealand Fire Service
Various Government Agencies
Chief Executive Officer
Executive Manager ? Planning and Environment
Regulatory Services Manager
Infrastructure Services Department
PERSONAL QUALITIES AND QUALIFICATIONS
The following knowledge, formal qualifications, experience, skills and special personal
attributes are sought for this position.
? A good working knowledge of the Building Act, the Building Code and the approved
A sound working knowledge of the various Acts, Regulations and Bylaws governing the
control of building, drainage and plumbing, and the requirements of the District Plan, as
A practical working knowledge of computer systems and territorial authority record systems.
? A professional qualification in the building industry at a minimum level of one or more of the
following is required:
Diploma in Building Surveying
New Zealand Certificate in Building or equivalent
Craftsman Plumber and Registered Drainlayer
Advanced Trade Certificate in Building
Multi-Skilled Officers Certificate
A current valid motor vehicle drivers licence.
? Self-motivation and the capability of working without direct supervision and with well-
developed interpersonal communication skills, particularly when dealing with members of
other departments and the general public.
A good standard of writing skills on technical matters and an ability to prepare reports on
matters in dispute or for file reference.
Special Personal Attributes
? A successful record of working constructively alongside colleagues to produce an effective
Building Control Team.
Thorough verbal communication be able to gain the confidence and trust of clients and the
general public on enforcement issues and when giving advice.
Be proactive in developing systems and facilities that enhance customer service.
CORPORATE VALUES PROPOSITION
Permanent, full-time (40 hours per week) Understanding of the health environment, including requirements of health related legislation Experience with Quality...
From Canterbury District Health Board (Christchurch) - Canterbury
Published a month ago
The Wellington Hospitality Group is on the hunt for a fun, vibrant, passionate, hospitality loving legend to take ownership of our first ever venue….Khandallah...
Published a month ago
Facility Manager About the business and the role We currently have a new opportunity for anExperienced Facility Managerto manage two buildings in Surry Hills...
From Oxford - Auckland
Published 14 days ago
Hands on leadership role within our thriving National service centre Lead and support a team of Member Services Specialists Melbourne CBD location - close to...
From Hostplus Superannuation - Auckland
Published 14 days ago